Never Would We Have Imagined
You know when you're in the midst of a moment that will become that moment, the one you tell your future grandkids about years from now. I can picture them gathering around to hear about that one weekend Deion tweeted about their daddy, their uncle, our Greyson.
This all started earlier this year when Grey went to the Frisco Star, along with lots of area QBs, to tryout for a 7v7 football team. We were seeing it as an opportunity to work with other QBs for a day. But at the end of the day, three names were called out. Rick saw Greyson stand but didn’t know why.
He didn’t know that he had been chosen as a top thrower until they reached each other. Two weeks later, just like that, he was added to one of the 7v7 teams in Deion Sanders' organization. He was in the organization playing on a team coached by other coaches.
![]() |
| March 9, 2019 Houston |
#Forever grateful.
A few weeks later, Grey helped his original team win their games in the morning and advance to the afternoon, only to be benched when a new QB showed up.
Deion was there. He noticed everything.
Two days later, Rick texts me at work and says he got a phone call that Deion asked for his number and would be contacting him. Then he got a text from Deion, followed by a phone call. I could write a whole blog on that alone. For the love of football. Can you even imagine? We'll just say that I was grateful my husband was able to utter a word. Rick facebooked a screenshot of Recent Calls: Deion Sanders, minus the phone number that day. I'm sure ninety nine percent of his friends thought it was a joke.
Deion didn’t like that they benched Grey and told Rick he wanted to move Grey to his team and had already told the coaches he was his. Kind of a huge phone call for this every day family that is just plugging away in our very normal every day life. #OurBoyWasNoticed
Two weeks ago, we knew everyone couldn’t be on the roster for Florida. In fact, I was a little panicky that if he did get on the roster that the cost might be insane, beyond us. Greyson Thompson, there it was, along with the total fee - just $200. My brother paid half, which meant it cost us $100, plus the money I sent with Grey for food. He hasn’t even had to pay for a meal yet. #ICantEven
You see, sometimes dads with names show up, and sometimes your kid gets benched because he’s "some kid", not a talented son of a big name (like that day up above when another QB showed up and Grey got benched). #ThoseTimesSuck #ButTheyGrowUs
But not with Deion. With this man, with every encounter with Grey, he was fair and played his son as the starting QB because Shedeur is good. He played Grey when a good coach puts in his number two. He has spent a lifetime watching his son play and only recent hours watching mine. He didn’t have to give him any play time at all. He gave him play time . . . and so much more. #HowOnEarthDidAllThisJustHappen?
#BecauseItWasntInOurHands
This whole once-in-a-lifetime experience for Grey is something that we couldn’t have given him, and I am reminded, through watching God bless Grey, to LET God do his thing.
He can bless him far more than we can.
Never would we have imagined Deion noticing our son getting benched, our son, who came home that day completely fine and happy he was at the tournament, playing or not.
Never would we have imagined a phone call saying he wanted him on his team.
![]() |
| June 16, 2019 Florida |
Never would we have imagined 5 days on a charter bus and an amazing trip to Florida filled with simple shenanigans and powerful talks.
Never would we have imagined our boy being poured into by NFL legends like Deion and Ray Lewis and I can’t even remember the other names. #ItsAllSoBeyondOurReach
Never would we have imagined that he’d be privy to have a seat at this blessed table where pros talk football, perseverance and patience.
Never would we have imagined his cute self pinned on Deion’s tweets about wanting kids to BE GREAT or to see what he sees. Just crazy!
Isn’t that funny how that happens? We don’t even imagine that big and tall and grand and out of reach. We think we see big. We crunch numbers and talk about what money can afford and expect people to move mountains.
But when do we let God blow our thoughts far enough away that we let go of them and grab ahold of him?
When do we get out of what’s practical and step into what’s impractical?
When do we let God do God . . . and just get out of the way?
Never would we have imagined everything that God was in the midst of orchestrating. #IdTakeHimOverUsAnyDay
I’ve so enjoyed hearing about Grey's roommates, getting FaceTime calls showing us new places, having my husband send me videos after plays, following the tournament app and brushing up on my bracket knowledge. I've enjoyed the laughter in his voice as he learns new people's ways and is enveloped in their close charter bus quarters, and I'm dying for the moment he gets home; I'm going to squeeze stories right out of him. God has done so much more than we could have possibly imagined. Moments to remember, archive, jot down and cherish. For me, moments to blog.
It’s been way more than that even; it’s been a refreshing reminder of the God we serve, the God who blesses us far beyond what we can imagine. It’s been tangible, and it's been a joy watching it unfold because it wasn’t force-fed, manmade or prepaid.
It’s much like those best moments we can recall so clearly years later, not force-fed, manmade or prepaid: Like the May in 2000 when doctors said I’d never carry children. And the December and four Novembers that proved them so very wrong. Like the dream two men had one night, the exact same literal dream, placing Rick in full-time ministry. Like the teacher who stopped in my class to tell me God spoke to her husband and Rick was to take 21 days to pray. Boy was he!
Those are just some of my forever favorites. I feel like at some point in the future, I’ll be saying “Like that time Grey . . ." and I’ll recall this moment, which will become that moment, when God did God.
There’s no one, not one, that can force a future or make dreams happen, not with human hands, not even with hands that reach as far as Deion’s. There is, however, a God who whispers and prompts and moves in this world. Today, I am #SoInAwe. With all the days that don't feel so awe-filled and all the Jesus doings that are not so easily evident, I just have to stop and note when it is obvious.
I love this video Deion tweeted last week. I believe Grey was a whisper. If you're on Twitter, it's worth watching: https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1139137196252893184
I'll leave you with that video and a bit of one of my favorite chapters in Ephesians. It has been on my mind throughout this entirely unpredictable and precious week. Ephesians 3:20 AMP: "Now to Him who is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly more than all that we dare ask or think [infinitely beyond our greatest prayers, hopes, or dreams], according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory..."
Pursuing this Football Momma Thing and Finding Christ in the Midst, Emily

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hello We are OddThemes, Our name came from the fact that we are UNIQUE. We specialize in designing premium looking fully customizable highly responsive blogger templates. We at OddThemes do carry a philosophy that: Nothing Is Impossible













