The Facebook Message That Forever Changed Us
It's been a few weeks, and I still can't fully grasp what happened. Just as our family was going through a normal day in small town Iowa, hundreds of miles away, an old acquaintance of Rick's was checking out his Facebook page in an effort to remember him, and in the midst of it all, God began to move. Powerfully. I promise as I share you will be shocked, blindsided, amazed, perhaps even goosebump-filled or overwhelmed with emotion, the kind that instantly surfaces and takes you to another place. For some of you that place will be awe, for others it will be anger, and for some it will deepen your faith, challenge you personally, or even bring some things into perspective. It's a total God-breathed miracle.
When unimportant things rent space in my head and life feels a little too overwhelming, I tend to become ungrateful. I tend to dwell on what is lacking rather than what is flourishing in our lives. With an upcoming move, packing a house, preparing to return to teaching, looking for a house, stretching the last paycheck to reach through the entire summer, scrubbing the inside of the fridge, making umpteen lists, and most of all, waiting on all that will be next on this journey our family is on, I can get stuck on the details. Really stuck. I can move from confident in God, totally trusting, and faith-filled to highly distracted by the Hershey's chocolate syrup that has gunked up the inside of my fridge door and managed to spread to the bottom of every other bottle on that stupid shelf.
On a slightly deeper level, this summer has been kind of hard to embrace. I love being Rick's wife, period. I also love this unique calling God gave us to lead in ministry. So, this whole transitioning time has been interesting . . . I feel like Wheezy, the penguin from Toy Story, who is placed on the shelf, wasting away, totally unused. Somedays, I seem to be collecting dust. Are we going to be used? When can we get off the shelf and jump into the action? Isn't it crazy how easily doubt and lies can creep in, whisk us away, and make us believe we've been intentionally placed on some shelf, like Wheezy? Even when I know better, there are times I find myself thinking I'm on that shelf looking down at the rest of the world actively fulfilling their roles, wondering if I'm (we're) going to be used again.
That's where I was mentally (sidetracked by life's transitions and feeling shelved for the moment) when my husband read a life-changing message on Facebook. We were up in our bedroom. I asked him a question, but his eyes were glued to his phone (which is not unusual, so I didn't think much of it). I looked at him as he looked at his screen. He was so focused that he didn't even hear me. Not even a bit. Then he sat on our bed and began to text with this look on his face. That look made me stop; it made my focus shift from him ignoring me to what he couldn't ignore. I stared and waited. He kept typing. It was quiet in those next few moments as I watched him gather his thoughts.
Rick handed me his phone, and his Facebook page was open to this message. This very telling, truthful, soul-relieving message. . .
Rick replied to her and later that evening, she sent this:
The other eye-opener to me, as a pastor's wife, is that the church rarely addresses this issue. It's like we think that all Christians know abortion isn't God-initiated, so we assumed all new believers get this by some second-hand means, and that's that. Do churches preach about abortion to married couples? It seems like we shouldn't at first thought (at least to me); yet, this one Facebook message makes me totally rethink that. The truth is, people struggle with just about everything, Christian or not. Unless you're in a church with a ministry that specifically addresses abortion or pregnancy centers, your pastor is probably not prioritizing speaking to his congregation about keeping a baby when that test is positive. He's just not! That's the sort of conversation to be had with (like mentioned above) the single, the unmarried, the non-church going people who consider abortion . . . because church-going people don't consider abortion . . . or do they?
I can honestly say, I never have. Never a thought. Not once. Does that make me righteous in some way or more Godly than this woman who messaged my husband? No. Not one bit. We have five children, and we weren't trying to get pregnant with any of them (we really weren't). So, they were surprises. I'll tell you what I did do when I found out we were expecting additional children. I did wonder how we'd balance a new life with work. I wondered how we'd love another as much as the first. I wondered how we'd manage to take care of them and split our attention in so many directions when we had the fourth and fifth these past two years. I totally wondered. I don't happen to be a person who wonders how we'll afford them or who stresses over buying a bigger house so they can each have a bedroom. It's just not me. I did, however, stress.
This situation has really prompted me to ask myself what is behind those presumptuous questions that we, as a society, tend to find socially acceptable: Did you take care of that? Well, you know how that happens, don't you? Are you having another kid? Then, to go a little further, the conversations that take place after the conversations, like: I can't believe they're having another one. What is the reason for saying that? Now, as a Christ-follower, what is the reason? Do you really believe that this couple performed this miracle? That they, themselves, created this baby intentionally and they are the ones causing the cells to divide, multiply, develop into organs and all other parts, perfectly orchestrating this life into being because their desire to have a child and this miracle of life is in their hands? Really? As a believer, do you believe that?
Probably not. If you are a follower of Christ, you believe that God is the giver of life. So when we say, I can't believe they're having another one, don't we really mean, Why would God give them another child? That has to be what we are really saying. We are either questioning why they have chosen to have another baby on their own, independent of God, or we are wondering why God is giving them another child. What about when we say, You know how that happens, don't you? When we say that, aren't we really saying, Why didn't you stop this from happening? That's what we mean, isn't it? Aren't we really asking if they have learned about the technical way a sperm and egg collide and create a life so that they can avoid that collision? Maybe we don't mean that; maybe we're just teasing the new-to-be parents with some friendly banter, but in either case, this Facebook message my husband received has really made me think twice about the words we are speaking when a life is on its way. Rejoice. Nothing but rejoice. Encourage. Nothing but encourage.
Isn't parenting difficult enough? Shouldn't we be walking alongside our friends and celebrating when God has given them a baby? Shouldn't we be speaking about our children with thankfulness and encouraging those in the body of Christ to love all children, all babies, planned or unplanned (by us -though quite planned by God Himself)? Shouldn't we be making our position as Christians known to our churches? Shouldn't pastors deal with every issue people face, even the quiet ones that can be secretly terminated in-between Sunday services? I'd love to see pastors address this compassionately. Forget the condemning messages that speak hatefully of abortion. We all know that too well. How about a clear reminder that we're all in this together? What about loving the people who are trying to grasp this whole concept of following Christ by speaking about the very real decisions that cross our very flawed and vulnerable minds?
There's a part of me that wants to place a huge sign above our home, visible by every Momma-to-be that is about to abort. A sign that reads, I'll raise your baby, no questions asked. And I wouldn't ask a single question. I would just rejoice, nothing but rejoice. I've often thought of this over the years. I once saw a video of a couple in Asia who placed a heated lamp in a box with a sign for a drop off for unwanted babies. That box has been used, often. I think of that as a whole world away. Today though, I sit here, and I realize that not only is it next door, it's often much closer than I realize. Much, much closer. I do know there are safe drops all over this country, and I do know there are millions of babies intentionally and knowing aborted. I've always known. It's always burdened me. Now, it's just come a little closer to home. This one woman's admirable honesty on a Facebook message has touched our lives, and I'm excited for God to continue to move. He's doing something with this.
I'm still in awe, now weeks later, at how God used a picture of my five little loves to speak to a woman several states away. I'm also in awe that we never really know of all the ways God is using us. Sometimes it's obvious, like those times when tears of heartache are stopped mid-flight as God's peace settles in, those moments when a phone call for help turns into hours of counseling, those moments when the words of another soothe your soul, those many moments when it's obvious. Then there are the times when we feel like Wheezy, slightly distanced from it all, seeing others all-in, feeling unused. Sometimes, those are the very moments God Himself sends a reminder that we are not forgotten. Sometimes we're feeling shelved while another is praying for an answer, and God blends those two soul-pleading positions into one very miraculous moment that saves a mom from a potentially heart-aching guilt, a baby from a human-forced death, and a pastor's wife from questioning her ability to be used.
God hears our pleas, and He answers. He does answer. He can even speak to a man to click on a person who he saw occasionally in a high school hall and use that connection to answer a prayer. He just can. He's that BIG, and He can.
Being Pursued,
Emily
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hello We are OddThemes, Our name came from the fact that we are UNIQUE. We specialize in designing premium looking fully customizable highly responsive blogger templates. We at OddThemes do carry a philosophy that: Nothing Is Impossible


